MyEpisodes Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Integration with download programs and media players

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyEpisodes Forum Index -> Recycle
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want this request?
Yes - I would find that request useful.
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
No - I would not find that request useful.
90%
 90%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 11

cecolon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Integration with download programs and media players Reply with quote

[Request Name]
Integration with download programs and media players

[Description]
This request would need some cooperation between the developers of this page and developers of the mentioned programs, but would be awesome.

When you have downloaded an episode in the P2P-program that supports My Episodes (myep), it notifies myep, and is checked as Aquired. After it has been played in the media player, the media player notifies myep, and it is checked as Watched.

This would need a lot of integration, but could be a neat feature to think about in the future Smile (And to take the idea further, what about integration with Torrent-sites, so new episodes starts downloading automatically.. Cool )

[Comments]
Anyways, thanks for this page! The idea is neat Smile
Lordship-SE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason MyEpisodes is still alive is the fact that it does not in any way (at least as far as I know) cooperate with downloading sites/programs/anything that could be seen as illegal. It actually got in trouble without that, so go figure. If you on the other hand want the functionality you describe, you could work like the following:

To define the downloaded status: uTorrent for example can execute a command after downloading ( which you have to set by hand everytime. I wish they would update that). Clever use of wget can make it send the acquired status to myepisodes (I checked it would theoretically be possible myself, but I couldn't be bothered to write something of my own). Maybe there's an easier way to do it than wget, but wget (spider mode, use cookie, read the source code of the view.php) should be able to do it.

Concerning watched: You could implement another default command for .avi files by changing the default command in your registry, running it by a batch/some visual basic/something else that calls wget to send the watched status.

All of this is quite some work and would have to be done client side, so the myepisodes website cannot do really much. (Except offer an easier way using GET forms to set a status (Hey, that's a nice idea, how about that, http://www.myepisodes.com/update.php?user=&passmd5=&showid=&ep=&status= or some explanation on the FAQ ?)).

On the other hand, a website where you don't have to go to anymore does kind of lose its purpose, doesn't it ?
mrnoshot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree totally with 'Lordship-SE'...

Plus, the more that automated apps are made available and configured to make things easier for the regular "Joe's", the more that people who know nothing about computers will use it.

This is concerning downloading copyright material from P2P,Newsgroups,IRC, or even FTP - therefore making the MPAA and Networks look a little bit closer at the process and even try to stop it...
joesparano

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyEpisode's impartiality to methods of acquiring and watching episodes should be seen as a benefit. At one time or another, I've watched episodes live, recorded for later, downloaded via BitTorrent, or purchased on DVD. Once acquired, I watch those episodes on my computer, on TV, or on a PSP.

A system like you've suggested would only work if you always downloaded episodes and always watched them on your computer. Any other method would still require you to update via MyEpisodes manually.

Then again, I get a tremendous amount of satisfaction checking off episodes as I watch them. Maybe I'm the wrong person to ask... Wink
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyEpisodes Forum Index -> Recycle All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: