MyEpisodes Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Update: Show Information / EpsByShow
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IceMan
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Update: Show Information / EpsByShow Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I am working hard to update the production site, I am trying to catch up with the development branch.

I have been working non stop this weekend and i am finaly ready to bring you the first new page.

The "show" page (EpsByShow) has been totaly redone.
It now features all the information show information, runtime, network, country, classification, episodes, followers.
Best of all, you no longer have to press "Save Episode" everytime you tick a checkbox. All episode status is updated using AJAX and a nice little notification will popup in the top right corner - giving you feedback that your action was successfull.

Check it out, eg. The Big Bang Theory

The other views (pages) will get a makeover shortly.

Spoon1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice _b_b
sweetpeas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks neat, the followers statistic is interesting
Reddy79

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your hard work. Unfortunately the last working greasemonkey userscript stopped working with your change.

When the myepisodes enhanced script stopped working and produced errors on your site I found another old script I could use.

Would you consider an option in settings to keep the old episode list layout?
Some prefer the latest episodes on top and some the oldest episode on top ^^
Maynard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reddy79 wrote:

+1
Having oldest at top is much better when binging a show. If newest is on top, one needs to scroll through several seasons to get to the bottom and mark episode watched.
bigbag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No link that links to tvmaze/tvdb/tv.com ?
RaveDave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard wrote:
Reddy79 wrote:

+1
Having oldest at top is much better when binging a show. If newest is on top, one needs to scroll through several seasons to get to the bottom and mark episode watched.

+1
I agree with both of these posters, i prefer oldest at the top, i'm, not sure whether IceMan is finished with it yet but maybe the plan is to have the headers sortable?
Rowsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the settings button. It would be better if those options were just on the page.

Also, the ignore box on the show overview page doesn't work.
animegirl
Tester

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaveDave wrote:
Maynard wrote:
Reddy79 wrote:

+1

+1
I agree with both of these posters, i prefer oldest at the top, i'm, not sure whether IceMan is finished with it yet but maybe the plan is to have the headers sortable?

+1
I also agree; I prefer oldest at the top as well, if it is possible. ...Maybe it's currently set this way so that the episode list format is similar to TVmaze?...
jt4703

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer the an option to go back to the old page altogether. I do not want or need all that information at the top and it takes up over half the screen on my page leaving very little for episodes if they would actually display without needing to turn on google scripts. I'm in favor of lo-fi, low bandwidth, non-scripted pages that work well.
Doden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the frist sight i'm a bit confused but i'm starting too like it.
i do +1 on the comments about getting the oldest episode at the top and the newer one on the bottom, like it was before.
Anyway rly happy that we get so much new stuff and alot of work/update on the page.
Rowsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt4703 wrote:
I'd prefer the an option to go back to the old page altogether. I do not want or need all that information at the top and it takes up over half the screen on my page leaving very little for episodes if they would actually display without needing to turn on google scripts. I'm in favor of lo-fi, low bandwidth, non-scripted pages that work well.

I'm with ya. The added stuff at the top means nothing to me.
ibwolf
Tester

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi IceMan,

Is there any reason why the episode table is loaded via AJAX?

This basically makes any user scripting a pain as you need to ensure that the AJAX load finishes before your script runs.

If there is a real need to do it this way (rather than folding it in server side), then fair enough. But I can't see the point of doing it this way, given how the page currently works.
IceMan
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your feedback. Smile

I will change the sort order to ascending (oldest first), then make an option to the settings button where you can chose descending instead.

ibwolf, one could argue that you never strictly have to use AJAX - but it is the next logical step to try and make the site more responsive.
I am currently using it so that any changes to the filter is live.
But later it am going to use it so we don't need to list all seasons every time, but just a specific season or the latest season or all seasons.
jt4703

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceMan wrote:

I will change the sort order to ascending (oldest first), then make an option to the settings button where you can chose descending instead.

ibwolf, one could argue that you never strictly have to use AJAX - but it is the next logical step to try and make the site more responsive.
But later it am going to use it so we don't need to list all seasons every time, but just a specific season or the latest season or all seasons.

Does this mean the scripts will need to be pulled from google from here on out or will they be moved back to server side eventually?
IceMan
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt4703 wrote:
IceMan wrote:

Does this mean the scripts will need to be pulled from google from here on out or will they be moved back to server side eventually?

jt4703, I started out having it locally, but then changed it to CDN delivered.
Normaly people would have jQuery loaded from a million other web sites. Thus not forcing them to download "my" copy of the exact same file - so I was actually trying to improve the experience for the users.
jt4703

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceMan wrote:
jt4703 wrote:
IceMan wrote:

jt4703, I started out having it locally, but then changed it to CDN delivered.
Normaly people would have jQuery loaded from a million other web sites. Thus not forcing them to download "my" copy of the exact same file - so I was actually trying to improve the experience for the users.

I DO understand and I know I am the odd one out in that regard due to my situation. I see it is now localized and working rather well. It seems a bit less laggy tonight than it did this morning when I tested it with the google apis script on so awesome! Smile
TooSlow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, only thing I miss is the ability to see, without having to open 'settings' if the show is currently ignored or not. I believe before we could see that above the show listings.

I thought that was handy as some shows get cancelled, ignored, picked up by another network (as example) which made it obvious to UN-ignore it.

However, with the new show overview page it's quite easy to see the same info.. but, still might be nice to have on episode listing page Smile

thanks for all the hard work!
IceMan
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt4703, you can test the legacy pages here: https://www.myepisodes.com/legacy/epslist/

I can not promise it will keep working. But atleast it will give the users a transition period.

You can set your default redirect page in the control panel, under Other Settings - set it to "#Legacy MyEpisodes":
https://www.myepisodes.com/account/controlpanel/
jt4703

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceMan wrote:
jt4703, you can test the legacy pages here: https://www.myepisodes.com/legacy/epslist/

I can not promise it will keep working. But atleast it will give the users a transition period.

You can set your default redirect page in the control panel, under Other Settings - set it to "#Legacy MyEpisodes":
https://www.myepisodes.com/account/controlpanel/

Ooo! Thanks Smile Looks great and works as expected. Looking at the new episode list with the auto update too. It takes a bit to wait on the update but it's not as slow as it had been before! Smile Thank you for localizing the scripts. This is awesome
Dohi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the extra stuff the site's getting, even if I miss the save status button on the episode list page (got used to hitting reload in the browser by now), but it'd be great if the extra (and for me, unnecessary) show info table at the top could be turned off in the control panel, and even better if the show settings weren't hidden behind another button and an unnecessary extra click. they could still be out in the open, like before, or with more options it could look like the episode list with all the filters and stuff.
~Samango~

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceMan wrote:

Thank you for the updates to these pages
I understand that some people have expressed an opinion that this is how they would prefer the sort order, I would however like to make the case for newest at the top

If you come to a long run series late, and binge watch your way through seven seasons, then at some point, whichever way round it is sorted, you will have to scroll down to the bottom of the list to get to all of the episodes. Fair enough.

But what if you watch each season and even each episode as they are released?
With the newest at the top they will always be right there ready to check mark.
With the oldest at the top, as each season comes out you will have to scroll past previous seasons, with the one you want to access moving further and further down the list.

Please may we have the most recent at the top as default which I think is more logical, with an option to change it for anyone that wishes to.

Thanks again
ibwolf
Tester

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~Samango~ wrote:

Please may we have the most recent at the top as default which I think is more logical, with an option to change it for anyone that wishes to.

People are never going to agree on which is better (and thus should be default). Probably easiest to add a profile level setting for this preference. That way, people who disagree with the 'official' default option only need to change this once.
~Samango~

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a perfect solution
I just imagined that there are a lot of people watching current shows that would have to change their settings for each show.
feibei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the info coming from? I'm not seeing any reference to the source.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MyEpisodes Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: