MyEpisodes Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MyEpisodes Win 7/Vista Sidebar Gadget
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelwe
3rd party developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: MyEpisodes Win 7/Vista Sidebar Gadget Reply with quote

New Download Link (20/01/2012): https://sourceforge.net/projects/myepsgadget/

Installation and usage instructions for MyEpisodes gadget version 1.0.4

General

The purpose of this gadget is to simplify the viewing of upcoming shows. This gadget uses the RSS feeds option for registered users of MyEpisodes.com, prior to usage of this gadget you must have a working user name and have configured a list of shows.

Download
This gadget was available on the live gadget gallery. Since it was retired, I am looking for a permanent file hoster for the gadget file.

Installation
Download the file to your computer and double-click it, this will pop-up the Windows Vista sidebar installation process. After it is installed, it will show up in the gadget list and you should see a new gadget named �Feed Reader�.

Configuration

Entering the gadget configuration screens can be done through the standard gadget configuration button. This will display a three tabbed screen �Feeds�, �Options�, �About�.

Configuration:Feeds Section

Feed name - Enter a descriptive name, this will be shown on the top most of the gadget window
    Feed Type - Select a feed type from Mylist, Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow or all. Final results are also determined by the �unacquired� selection below. �Mylist� is recommended and is the default, �All� is not recommended as it will show all shows airing today regardless of user selections.
    Username - This is your myepisodes.com username
    Pwd Hash - This is your myepisodes.com md5 password hash, this can be seen in the site control panel
    Only get unacquired items- This feature is detailed in the �Profile� -> �RSS Feeds� section of the site
    Save Feed - Any change to the �Feeds� section should be saved via this button BEFORE pressing �OK�. This button is only relevant to the �Feeds� section as a safety feature � as any change here could cause the gadget to not work.
    Feed name Link Action- The top-most title is actually a hyperlink. Use this setting to select it's action
    Download Location-If you selected 'Open Download Folder' in the previous selection, use this to select the target folder to open

Configuration:Options Section

• Theme - Choose a layout theme for the gadget
  • Refresh - Choose the RSS feed refresh interval, recommended values are between 15 minutes � 1 hour
  • Items/page - Choose the number of item rows per page
  • Auto scroll through feeds - This will cause the gadget to scroll the feeds list automatically

Configuration:Search Section

When the user clicks "NZB Search" in the flyout window, the gadget opens a web browser with a search URL to a user chosen NZB search engine (newzbin.com by default). In this screen you can choose the NZB search engine to use. You are given the option to choose from a predefined list, or manually enter the search URL, by selecting "Other...". The gadget takes the two text boxes and will build the complete search URL in this order:

1. URL part 1
  2. The show name (for example: Heroes)
  3. a plus sign
  4. The episode code (for example: 4x01)
  5. URL part 2

Check the "Use '1e02 format..." box if your search engine works with that format.
Note that the text boxes are enabled only when "Other..." is selected.

Usage

1. Feed name � click this to update the feed now.
  2. Item name � click this to open the item flyout window. Below an item name will appear the episodes number and its date. The date field will change according to the following rules:
    1. Item date is in the future � the item date is shown
    2. Item date is today � * today * is shown instead of the item date with red font color to differentiate from other items (except in the red theme)
    3. Item date is in the past � * past * is shown. Please read the note below about this
  3. Flyout window
    1. Search Newzbin � this will open a newzbin.com search in a browser with the current item name and episode as search data
    2. Set Acquired � this will mark this item as acquired on myepisodes.com
    3. Set Watched � this will mark this item as watched on myepisodes.com

Notes and known issues

• Upgrading to Internet Explorer 9 might cause background to be white instead of transparent. Changing the theme fixes this issue only for current session
  • If the gadget does not display the proper date / *today* / *past* text, please make sure that the Date Format in the myepisodes.com Control Panel is set to "d-m-Y" (for example) and not "d-M-Y". A capital M will return "June" and not "06" - as is currently required by the gadget.
  • When �Only get unacquired items� is checked in the configuration and an item was marked as acquired, at the next feed refresh this item will be removed from the list.
  • An item marked as watched will be removed from the list at the next feed refresh.
  • Acquired� and �Watched� flags can only be cleaned on the myepisodes.com site and not from within the gadget.
  • At first usage you might be required to login in to the myepisodes.com web site even if such a cookie exists in IE, this can be because of IE protected mode. After another cookie is saved via the gadget, the �Acquired� and �Watched� functions will work perfectly in the gadget. Another option could be to add newzbin.com and myepisodes.com to the trusted sites list in IE.

Contact

This gadget is a rewrite of �Atom/RSS News Reader� version 3.0 by Cristian Patrasciuc.

Comments, suggestions, notes, etc are welcome@ rygelthesixteenth [AT] gmail [DOT] com

Last edited by shelwe on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:59 pm; edited 8 times in total
bungle

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thx alot!!! Very Happy
Yourwebness

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this and love it!
bungle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: weird... Reply with quote

since the after reinstalling this add-on i'm now seeing shows not in my episodes list that are completely unwatched by me. am i doing something wrong or has something messed up?

edit: my bad, silly me forgot to change the feed type to mylist, it was on 'all'. Laughing
Toufas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the date format set at d-m-Y but i still get past on the date.
what should i do?
Sithlord82

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to make it search for show "E" number instead of show "x" number. The site I use doesnt list with the x but with the e and also removes all : from show titles. Sad
shelwe
3rd party developer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added an option to search with 'e' as well as 'x'. This can be found in the search options page.
This new version is 1.0.3 and it will be available in the Microsoft gadget gallery as soon as they approve and post it.
Sithlord82

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks for the really prompt reply Smile Does it strip the : and the like out or do i need to do that myself with a few shows still ?
shelwe
3rd party developer

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just released another small update.

The top most link ('feed name') is now selectable. You can select it to refresh, open the myepisodes.com web site, or, open a folder or your choice (like your download folder).

It will be updated as soon as it is approved by live.com
Sithlord82

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of it searching for s01 rather than just 1 for a season. The site i use (nzbmatrix) now only supports boolean searches which is rather retarded and means i get no results from the search now. Searching with the s0 would work on pretty much all sites as they all lsit it with that anyway.
shelwe
3rd party developer

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sithlord,

Version 1.0.4 fixes this exact issue among other things.
Uninstall the previous version, and get 1.0.4, then select nzbmatrix as the search provider and mark the checkbox 'use 1e02' format.

(note: on the gallery page it is still listed as version 1.0.3 but the downloaded .gadget file is 1.0.4)
Zorky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont really understand what i shall do Smile
shelwe
3rd party developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorky wrote:
dont really understand what i shall do Smile

Download, Install, Go to Settings 'Feeds' and fill in:
Feed name: (type anything)
Feed type: choose MyList if you have shows set up in your myepisodes profile
Username and password hash to myepisodes.com (see my first post about where to get the password hash)

Click 'Save Feed' button and OK.

The gadget will now show your upcoming shows
HBAndrew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent gadget, instead of loading up the site all the time I can just glance at my desktop every time I turn the computer on to see what's coming up.

One suggestion, don't know if it's possible probably not though, but when selecting an episode from the list and clicking acquired or watched, is it not possible to just confirm that it is done within that window then close, instead of loading the website in the browser each time? Annoying when there's 5 shows to change to watched at once opening 5 browser tabs. Small price to pay for such a great gadget though.

Would also be nice if when it's set to only show unwatched episodes, and you change an episode to watched, that it activated a force refresh to update the list straight away, or just did it clientside straight away.
Mombasa

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What am I doing wrong here? I open up the options, set up my username, password and the feed name, then I click OK and nothing happens. The gadget doesn't save the settings I just made. When I open up the options again all the fields are blank.

Using 64-bit Windows 7.

EDIT: Tried deleting the settings.ini in Windows' AppData/.../Sidebar folder and setting it so that it isn't read-only. That didn't help.
shelwe
3rd party developer

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mombasa,

You must click the 'Save Feed' button before you click the 'OK' button, for the gadget to save your feed settings.
Also, make sure you fill in your password hash field - this is important so the gadget can get your feed, you can get your pwd hash directly from your myepisodes.com control panel.
Mombasa

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh, now I feel very stupid. Missed that one button completely Sad

Thanks for the help shelwe.
freddyfinn

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Upgrading to Internet Explorer 9 might cause background to be white instead of transparent. Changing the theme fixes this issue only for current session

Yeah certainly does.

I had a play with design and mine looks like this now:

http://img402.imageshack.us/g/capturetc.png/
mayhemz

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

This windows gadget is great but I noticed a bug in its auto refresh. It refreshes the gadget every 3-10 mins or so (I didn't time it but it refreshes/blinks often) even though I have set it to refresh once an hour or only at system start up.

I didn't notice this happening with the Vista skin, but the Brown skin appears to at least have it (could be others too). It's very noticeable because the whole gadget blinks when it refreshes, causing my eyes' attention/focus go to it. It's highly annoying because it happens so frequently.

Could the theme/skin used cause this or is it just the refresh option functioning illegally? I hope this has an easy fix!

There's one other thing too. The gadget doesn't remember the chosen setting for "Feed name Link Action". It always reverts back to "Open website" when you go into options and click OK. Means you have to always do your other business in the options and then change the link action back to "Refresh feed" before clicking OK.

Neither of those is anything big, but those would make the gadget even better in my opinion. It rocks even as it is though! Thanks for it.
itwife2000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: "Refresh Feed" Settings Save Issue Reply with quote

I can't get the gadget to save the "Refresh Feed" setting under the "Feed Name Link Action" field. I select it, click "Save Feed" and then "OK", but when I go back to it, it has reverted back to "Open Website." Is anyone else having this issue? If so, does anyone have a solution?
shelwe
3rd party developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Link Action problem Reply with quote

itwife2000, mayhemz:

Thanks for bringing the "Feed Name Link Action" issue to my attention, I will fix it and update here in a few days when the updated version gets published.

As for the refresh time issues, indeed I noticed that every time you manually refresh the feed it seems to add another 'refresh-timer' instead of reusing the same timer - I have yet to find a solution for this problem. If the gadget is left alone after startup (i.e not refreshed manually) it should update as per set interval.

EDIT: Version 1.0.5 is ready and fixes the IE9 transparency issue, and top link action. The gadget gallery is still not updated by live.com, meanwhile you can grab it here:
https://www.transferbigfiles.com/ffd2dc99-981f-4ea5-9494-2ff656c6899d?rid=IVpOaTXQP0dy9VH436df3w%3d%3d
freddyfinn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Link Action problem Reply with quote

shelwe wrote:

EDIT: Version 1.0.5 is ready and fixes the IE9 transparency issue, and top link action. The gadget gallery is still not updated by live.com, meanwhile you can grab it here:
https://www.transferbigfiles.com/ffd2dc99-981f-4ea5-9494-2ff656c6899d?rid=IVpOaTXQP0dy9VH436df3w%3d%3d

No longer available. I get the following message on the download page: This transfer has expired and the files are no longer available for download. Sad
shelwe
3rd party developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here is the updated link that will work till Saturday, while I find a better service if MS still does not update the gadget page.

https://www.transferbigfiles.com/b9f49d40-3904-414f-8a9e-7fa7cfca33ac?rid=yg9zrtTMxwzNz2dkgaGD3Q%3d%3d

EDIT: Very Happy
Version 1.0.5 is now available on its live.com page (see link in my first post) and can be downloaded from there.
homi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: seeing watched episodes Reply with quote

i have set the feed to mylist
and set the time range of my list back to 800 days
i only want to see episodes in the list that i have not watched yet
and it is my understanding that the gadget should only show unwatched episodes no matter what settings are done
but still my list is full of stuff that is marked watched
even if a mark it again and refresh it stays in the list

did I overlook something?
shelwe
3rd party developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homi,

In the "Feeds" settings page, please place a checkmark in "Only get unaquired items", then click "Save Feed", then "OK"

This setting alters the "onlyunaquired" value in the RSS feed:
http://www.myepisodes.com/rsshelp.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MyEpisodes Forum Index -> User Contributions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: