MyEpisodes Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two very hard to do ideas...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkflame

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Two very hard to do ideas... Reply with quote

Ok, I know these ideas are hard to do, but I'm putting them out there because Id love to have them;

1. Track Internet shows as well as tv shows. Theres now a huge number of online shows and its near impossible to keep track of when their episodes are out short of checking each site manualy each day.
Obviously without a central source of information, its kinda impossible to pull this off. But if someone thinks of a solution it would be great to add.
I have been compiling a table of online shows and can forward the list if anyone wants.

2. A My-episodes side project; Intelligent Spoiler tags. Wouldn't it be cool if websites could use spoiler tags which automatically censored only stuff you haven't seen? MyEppisodes + A Firefox/Chrome plugin could work.
Obviously getting people to use a tag would be a issue in itself.
But if someone made this, Id certainly use it myself in my review website Smile

I know these are both longshot ideas, but I think if somehow they could be pulled of it would be two more very compelling reasons to use this site.
TwyLight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both impossible lol,

myepisoded gets its show info from tvrage, if they add internet shows so will myepisodes.
Darkflame

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I figured as much.
Oh well.
livin52

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1st one depends on TVRage.

And the 2nd one should depend on the admin of the website, there are ways to mark something as a spoiler and provide a button/link to show/hide the content...
Darkflame

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. But rather then generic spoilers that lots of sites have, I was proposing it would be neat for a site-independent standard that automatically knew what you have seen and what you haven't based on your MyEpisodes.com database.

It would certainly take co-operation from site-owners, but I think if such a standard could be agreed upon, and implemented ver a plugin (as W3C would take years), I think youd get quite a few sites using it.

I see it working by the plugin parseing the page for a specific (invisible) string, and if it sees it then the contents between get spoilered.

So rather then;

[spoiler]

youd have

[spoiler#ShowName#S01E01]
etc

I know this is a dream, but I think it could work. Would be especially good for sites like ign or io9 which often have spoilers even in titles.
livin52

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not hard to do but to implement.

You could make a script for that but, as you say, you need cooperation from site owners which is very hard to get... Could take years...

Think that there are browsers *cough* IE *cough* that still does not comply with W3C standards...
Darkflame

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IE barely complys with anything.
But I could rant all day on that Razz

I guess you might be able to have some sort of user-submitted spoiler system. A bit like those Side-Wiki things. So rather then adding content to a site your censoring it.
But, yeah, this is getting progressively more complex a task.

Well, as I said, just chucking it out there.
But if it was ever done, Id support it with my sites. (and their massive half-dozens of users I have)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MyEpisodes Forum Index -> Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: