MyEpisodes Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to: Add MyEpisodes.com to Google Calendar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: How to: Add MyEpisodes.com to Google Calendar Reply with quote

I have started a new thread for this because the old one got messy, and because as I appear to be the only one actively supporting this, and I'd like to be able to update the first post when necessary.

There are two methods for creating the relevant iCal file which can then be imported in to google Calendar. Firstly, if you don't have access to web hosting you can use this method. It's possible that this method will be unreliable in the future. It relies on free web-hosting and I can't guarantee it will stay up forever. It also isn't as flexible as the second method, because you have to use the RSS feed I have specified in the file. The RSS feed I have specified is the one called "mylist".

Instructions:
[quote]
Sign up to myepisodes.com and add you watched shows to your myepisodes.com profile.

Set your time zone correctly here: http://myepisodes.com/cp.php

Now edit the following URL, replacing the bits in bold with the correct parameters for yourself.

http://jamesking.mezoka.com/MyEpisodes/myepisodes2ical.php?Username=YOURUSERNAME&Password=YOURMD5HASHEDPASSWORD&Timezone=YOURTIMEZONE

Your username, MD5 hashed password and time zone should all look exactly as they do on your control panel page (http://myepisodes.com/cp.php)

For example, a correctly edited URL might look like:

http://jamesking.mezoka.com/MyEpisodes/myepisodes2ical.php?Username=jamesking&Password=55455226f29d234bac59c7ee7df69624&Timezone=America/New_York

Keep this URL available as you now need to enter it in to Google Calendar.

Go to Google Calendar. Under "Other Calendars" on the left hand side, towards the bottom, click "Add", "Add by URL", and add the URL.

The episodes should now show up in your google calendar.

Enjoy!

I will explain method two in the next post.
jamesking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have your own web hosting you can follow the instructions here:

Instructions for use wrote:

Download the .zip here

Unzip all files to a folder and open the myepisodes2ical.php file in Notepad.
Go to the 23rd line:
$feed->set_feed_url('REPLACE_THIS_TEXT_WITH_YOUR_RSS_URL');
replace REPLACE_THIS_TEXT_WITH_YOUR_RSS_URL with your RSS feed from here. (the single quote marks must stay)

This line should now look something like this:
$feed->set_feed_url(http://www.myepisodes.com/rss.php?feed=mylist&onlyunacquired=1&uid=jamesking&pwdmd5=45f0b16f34ef9c7ee27fdgdf56da27d5f0bc');

If you watch any half hour TV shows, make sure they're added to the array for half hour shows in row 38. They need to be seperated with commas _ , _ and have double quotes around each show name _ " _ .

E.g., change:
$half_hour_shows = array("The IT Crowd","Friends");
to:
$half_hour_shows = array("The IT Crowd","Friends","Eastenders","Scrubs","How I Met Your Mother");
This will mean they show up as having a half hour duration, rather than 1 hour.

To make sure your time zone is correct you also need to do a couple more simple things.

First, go to here. Under Regional Settings, make sure your Time Zone is correct for where you are. Also check that the Episode Offset is set to 0.

Now, in the PHP, you need to modify the following line (line 33):
Quote:

$ical->add_property('X-WR-TIMEZONE', "GMT");

The correct thing to modify it to will depend on what time zone you selected in the previous step under Regional Settings. But, for example, if you were in New York and you had set your Regional Setting Time Zone to America/New_York in the drop down list, the PHP line would need to be changed to:

Quote:

$ical->add_property('X-WR-TIMEZONE', "America/New_York");

If this doesn't work for some reason you can look up a complete list of the available timezone entries here.

Upload the entire contents of the zip file, including your modified .php file to a folder on your web server.
Change ("CHMOD") the properties of the "cache" folder to 777. Note, I do not know exactly what this means (something to do with permissions), but it appears to be a neccessary requirement to make the script work. I found it easy to do in the Flashfxp FTP or Filezilla programs that I use.

In Google Calendar, under Other calendars, click "Add", "Add by URL", and point to the .php file that you have just updated. E.g., enter a link that looks similar to the following:

http://www.jamesking.com/myepisodes/myepisodes2ical.php
Now click "Add calendar" and the episodes on your RSS feed should be displayed. I use mine to show only "unacquired" files in the past 30 days, or next 45 on my google calendar.

mazz0310

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working great for me. (except for the little hiccup with Daylight Saving Time)

But thanks for the help....I use this daily.
IIIIIIIIIIII

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Not Working? Reply with quote

I followed your instructions (Method 1) and it's been over 12 hours and nothing has shown up yet. The only thing I can think of was that I did not make it public. Does that even matter?

*The error says it cannot fetch the url
**We could not parse the calendar at the url requested.
IIIIIIIIIIII

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The data could not be converted to UTF-8. You MUST have either the iconv or mbstring extension installed. Upgrading to PHP 5.x (which includes iconv) is highly recommended.

That is the error for

http://jamesking.mezoka.com/MyEpisodes/myepisodes2ical.php?Username=jamesking&Password=55455226f29d234bac59c7ee7df69624&Timezone=America/New_York
mazz0310

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not using that link for yourself are you?
IIIIIIIIIIII

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested to see if it was just my link or everything and it all gets the same results. It cannot be imported into gcal.
IIIIIIIIIIII

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Did Some Testing Reply with quote

After trying it a few times the error I keep getting is Could not fetch the url. This is for my own user name/shows AND this happens if it's public or not public.
ggolikPL

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first time dosen`t work, but now working fine
Thank You.

Post 1
L0STGR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!I added it! Very Happy
James you are the king Razz
Lordship-SE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

thanks for the script and the service of letting people use your mezoka for it. I was wondering how you do it considering my copy of your script on mezoka does no longer work due to them having deactivated curl and socket commands for free accounts. Do you use a workaround? Because I now use your script for my google cal but would rather use my own with some customizations.

Any idea?
Shenandoah

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello !
I've been using the 1st method for a few months now, and I'm really pleased with it, but today I added a few shows to my list, and they don't appear on my calendar.
I tried to delete the calendar from google, then recreate it, but it changed nothing...
Does anyone have a solution ?
Thanks in advance !

(Sorry if my english is bad, I'm french !)

EDIT : Well, forget my question ! This morning when I woke up my shows were there ! I suppose we need to wait a little every time we add something...
Anyway, thanks a lot for this really useful method !
IIIIIIIIIIII

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make the calendar public or private in google?
doc1881

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Shows disappeared Reply with quote

So I thought I was being smart by trying to get my episode air time to match, but now most of my shows have disappeared off my calendar. A couple are still there (just here and there not regular) and even reverting hasn't solved the issues.

Any thoughts?
divxfinland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIIIIIIIIIII wrote:
The data could not be converted to UTF-8. You MUST have either the iconv or mbstring extension installed. Upgrading to PHP 5.x (which includes iconv) is highly recommended.

I'm getting this same error, but only on this account. When I tried with my other account, it works perfectly. Same installation on my own server. I only changed the feed information and the error occurs.
IIIIIIIIIIII

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I never could figure it out/get it to work. Showrss has an ical option but hardly any shows in their db (only eztv stuff) so somethings are better than no things. Cheers.
jamesking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, maybe I need to upgrade something in that web hosting?

I'll take a look at it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MyEpisodes Forum Index -> User Contributions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: