MyEpisodes Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Episode Operation: "Skip"

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want this request?
1: Yes - I would find that request useful.
89%
 89%  [ 62 ]
2: No - I would not find that request useful.
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 69

joesparano

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: New Episode Operation: "Skip" Reply with quote

[Request Name]
New Episode Operation: "Skip"

[Description]
In addition to "Acquired" and "Seen", I'd like the option to "Skip" an episode. This would remove that episode from the functionality of SeriesWatch altogether, treating the remaining episodes as the full set, and sorting accordingly.

"Skip" would not remove an episode from the expanding tree, just prevent SeriesWatch from reminding the user about it.

This has several important benefits:

1. It's a more accurate way of tracking a series - for instances when the user doesn't want to see an episode, or doesn't have a means of acquiring it.

2. It would allow us to compensate for inaccurate TV.com data (Lost episode S02E201 comes to mind).

[Target URL]
http://www.myepisodes.com/myshows.php

[Comments]
This shouldn't be confused with the series-wide "Ignore" option. "Skip" would apply to specific episodes only.
astv

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This request would be unneeded if only series watch would remind about ALL episodes, and not ignore old ones just because a future episode was aquired.

There are TONS of threads about this.

This, and wrong data for episodes makes up about 80% of all threads.
joesparano

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. Even if SeriesWatch reminded about all episodes, we'd still have to contend with inaccurate data. I'd prefer that SeriesWatch only track episodes that existed.

"Skip" and "Acquire All" fulfill different roles.
etmuse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this would be very useful.. especially with the recent spate of 'recap' episodes - which I have no intentions of ever aquiring and watching - that are often numbered at the end of the season.
Socrates

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who started airing those "recap" shows, but he/she should be taken out back of the studio building, put up against the wall and get shot (all metaphorically speaking ofcourse :P).

I got about halfway through the recap for the first 13 eps of Lost and the first 5 minutes of the recap for Grey's Anatomy. From that point on I have vowed never to watch a recap episode ever again!!!!11!111one!!1!

Ahwell, so far for my rant. In short, I think that a skip option would be useful for things like recap's or unaqcuirable episodes.
mrnoshot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw that with 'Lost' last night.

ABC knows they can get high ratings (revenue) for spending next to nothing compiling "Lost - The Reckoning" and other recaps.... as if we can't remember what has happened during the season to bring us to this point.
Confused
great

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i totally agree!!!!!!
the skip option should be added for these stupid recap episodes !!!
nwpsys

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I add my weight to this feature request ?

"Skip Ep" is probably the only feature Series Watch is missing.

Becoming more relevant now with all these lame recap shows Wink

nwpsys
Talvi
Tester

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that the recap episodes and other specials are *still* being grouped together with all the regular episodes, even though the airdate data is acquired from TVRage. They at least have the possibility to have the special episodes under "Other Episodes" (unlike TV.com) but the question then is: why doesn't myepisodes.com utilize that option?

I'd like to have the option to *not* display those episodes on my acquire or watch list. But then again, I don't want to treat all shows similarlily. I *wan't* to skip the recap episodes for Lost but on the other hand I don't want to miss any MythBusters specials. Anyone have an idea how this could be resolved?

And what happened to the function that we were supposed to be able to manually correct the data on myepisodes.com? I have no intention of registering with TVRage just for that purpose.
IceMan
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talvi wrote:
The problem is that the recap episodes and other specials are *still* being grouped together with all the regular episodes, even though the airdate data is acquired from TVRage. They at least have the possibility to have the special episodes under "Other Episodes" (unlike TV.com) but the question then is: why doesn't myepisodes.com utilize that option?

I'd like to have the option to *not* display those episodes on my acquire or watch list. But then again, I don't want to treat all shows similarlily. I *wan't* to skip the recap episodes for Lost but on the other hand I don't want to miss any MythBusters specials. Anyone have an idea how this could be resolved?

And what happened to the function that we were supposed to be able to manually correct the data on myepisodes.com? I have no intention of registering with TVRage just for that purpose.

First, great that you are so positive, err ... I mean ...
Second, the manual data correction will come when we are done with it and not a second before. Please keep in mind that we are not tv junkies and that we infact have lives and other stuff to do.
Third, it is free service that we provide, that means our real jobs actually have more priority.
If you cannot be bothered to create a user on tvrage to fix whatever errors you have found, then it's probably not as important as you seem to think it is.

Now, have a good day.
Talvi
Tester

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, thanks for responding to the least important part of my post and veering off-topic when the thread is dedicated to the suggestion of a skip operation that the admins seem steadfastly to be opposed of. This suggestion was created already back in January and 95% of the people who voted are in favor of it. Job or no job, life or no life, that gives you (the collective you) plenty of time -- and reason -- to implement it. And yet it hasn't been implemented. First we were told that it would no longer be a problem because we'd have the option to manually correct the data (we don't). Then we were told that it wouldn't be a problem since the data will be acquired from TVRage. Like I said, despite of this, specials and recaps are still being grouped together with regular episodes. The skip operation is still needed and it seems to be the only solution.

Second, why is it that people interpret my comments as negative? I'm fairly quiet when things are running smoothly. Wink Am I the only one who's actually expecting improvements?

Third, way to build a community by discouraging discussion.

Are you having a good day?
IceMan
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talvi wrote:

First, thanks for responding to the least important part of my post and veering off-topic when the thread is dedicated to the suggestion of a skip operation that the admins seem steadfastly to be opposed of. This suggestion was created already back in January and 95% of the people who voted are in favor of it. Job or no job, life or no life, that gives you (the collective you) plenty of time -- and reason -- to implement it. And yet it hasn't been implemented. First we were told that it would no longer be a problem because we'd have the option to manually correct the data (we don't). Then we were told that it wouldn't be a problem since the data will be acquired from TVRage. Like I said, despite of this, specials and recaps are still being grouped together with regular episodes. The skip operation is still needed and it seems to be the only solution.

Second, why is it that people interpret my comments as negative? I'm fairly quiet when things are running smoothly. Wink Am I the only one who's actually expecting improvements?

If you took the time to read up on requesting you would know even if the community are favoring a request by 100%/0% we could still decide not to implement it.

Try and read before writing Link:
IceMan wrote:

Request Expectations:

"Ok, I made my request when will it be ready?"

Yes, sadly we hear this all too often. Whilst we encourage members to request new features to keep the site refreshed. Unfortunately not every request will be made.

This is a simple fact of life, 'we don't always get what we want'.
We have busy personal lives, work commitments and family commitments. Whilst
we see and consider EVERY request posted, the final decision to proceed in developing is made by us. Not all requests would keep up with our plan for the site.

Display courtesy and respect whilst in the forum and if you are lucky enough to have
your request developed - express appreciation and thanks.

If you miss out, don't worry, there's always next time.

- MyEpisodes.com

That being said, we normally do what the community wants.
Just because the request was created in January doesn't make it certain that it should have been implemented yet. Do you know our structure of the database? If not then you couldn't possible know how long it would take to restructure big parts of the entire site to accommodate this request.
Secondly, why would we even start implementing a request that would be useless when the manual data correction is done? Why should we even make anything at all, when all we get is headache from people like you anyway?

You are free to expect all the improvements you want, but you can put them up a place where the sun doesn�t shine, I really don't care what you expect. I try to make stuff whenever I have time for it. If our service isn�t good enough you could always make your own site.

I don't discourage discussion, but you whining about something not getting better, when you are getting it all for free, that is just wrong. Have you even given anything back for all the time we used to make it, let me check � no!

About the negative posting, I�m pretty sure you know why.
Yes you are quiet when everything runs smoothly; you are one of those customers that you only can get to talk if they feel mistreated.

I am having a great day, now I have an excuse not to develop anything on myepisodes.com today. Hehe. Ohh, and I got free from work tomorrow that help too.
facedancer

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talvi wrote:

Being a professional developer myself I can tell you that working on paying projects can destroy the desire to work on personal projects, many of my own personal projects have ended up on hold for years until I get the desire and motivation back.

Talvi wrote:

To answer that question lets look at you first paragraph. The first sentence is a personal attack and assumes decisions have been made when they have not. The third sentence is another attack and expects the developers to have nothing else to do other than work on this site. Only the eighth sentence can be view positively.

Talvi wrote:

Your third paragraph is hypocritical, this is a written forum so you have plenty of time to compose what you are saying with constructive ideas to balance the negatives.

Your fourth paragraph shows you are not happy and trying to make everyone else unhappy too.

You could have with a little thought have made your post constructive and not a personal attack on the developers, who may now go on strike for months.

Everyone has bad days, so examples of bad judgement will happen, but for the benefit of the community please spend a little time reviewing you post before and after making them.
brooza

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - the number of times I've ignored a show through the All-In-One page thinking it just meant that episode...
chriswalker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Thankyou Reply with quote

Well I for one am thankful to you all for working on myepisodes and can't believe you give your own time to keep this site running at already great quality. If new things come, they come, and if they don't, hey let's all get off our arses and enjoy life!
tofen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also very much like to have this feature.

Would be very good if you are starting to watch a series half way in, but don't have any intention to watch the episodes you missed.

I for example has this issue with the series "Top Gear". Started to watch it 2-3 seasons ago and added it to my list on MyEpisodes to be sure to not miss any new episodes.
But I have no intentions going back, watching the show from the beginning 12 seasons ago when they are testing cars that are now 10 years old.
Sure, I could just mark them all as "seen" (and that's also what I've done for now) but that screws up the "time I've waisted" statistics etc.
honc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add another scenario to the potential uses of this feature. For shows like The Daily Show, I really want to be able to skip shows that are either too old or not interesting.

Also, I was disappointed in the direction this thread went. I don't think it's good/right to demand features be implemented. I do really want this one, and hope that there aren't bad feelings preventing it from being implemented.

I really like myepisodes.com, keep up the good work!
Mizery_Made

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A request like this (an "Ignore Episode" feature) is why I came into the Requests section tonight. Looking around before posting, I ran across this thread, which pretty much proposes the same thing. I agree that a way of ignoring an episode would be a nice touch. Sure, you could just mark it as watched, but that wouldn't display an accurate overview of your watching habits (or not let you change your mind and go back and watch what you initially felt like ignoring).

I think this feature would be most useful for those that watch non-episodic shows. Episodic ones, generally you watch each episode to keep up with the storylines and the like, whereas ones with no real arc... you can easily ignore an episode if it doesn't look interesting. Such as a "Tonight Show" or otherwise. For these, you could mark it as Skip/Ignore and it no longer appears in your Episode List/Calender/etc. if you have it set to filter out Ignored. Thus, no longer bothered by them appearing but also not marking something Watched, if you didn't actually watch it.
rndmjules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Ditto Reply with quote

Mizery_Made wrote:
A request like this (an "Ignore Episode" feature) is why I came into the Requests section tonight. Looking around before posting, I ran across this thread, which pretty much proposes the same thing. I agree that a way of ignoring an episode would be a nice touch. Sure, you could just mark it as watched, but that wouldn't display an accurate overview of your watching habits (or not let you change your mind and go back and watch what you initially felt like ignoring).

I think this feature would be most useful for those that watch non-episodic shows. Episodic ones, generally you watch each episode to keep up with the storylines and the like, whereas ones with no real arc... you can easily ignore an episode if it doesn't look interesting. Such as a "Tonight Show" or otherwise. For these, you could mark it as Skip/Ignore and it no longer appears in your Episode List/Calender/etc. if you have it set to filter out Ignored. Thus, no longer bothered by them appearing but also not marking something Watched, if you didn't actually watch it.

I completely agree with everything Mizery_Made said. Including that this was the reason I'm visiting the Request section today.

This feature would be especially useful for non-episodic shows like The Daily Show, but ALSO for shows like Survivor where I've seen everything since 2006, but I don't want to first 11 seasons cluttering up my Quick Check. (And I don't want to mark them Watched because... I haven't watched them yet.)
rndmjules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I forgot to say that I really do love this site. I had basically been tracking the shows I watch in One Note and doing all the research myself, so it's great to have all the info in one place online and be able to access it from home or work.

Keep up the good work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MyEpisodes Forum Index -> Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: