MyEpisodes Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TV.com vs TVRage.com

View previous topic :: View next topic  

TV.com or TVRage.com
TV.com
36%
 36%  [ 21 ]
TVRage.com
63%
 63%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 58

Lee85

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: TV.com vs TVRage.com Reply with quote

Hi, I was just wondering what other people think about the change to using TVRage.com instead of TV.com?

I personally prefer TV.com but that could be because I've just gotten used to it.

What do other people think?
IceMan
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer tvrage.com

There are plenty of reasons, here is just a few:

1. Data on tv.com is hard to get corrected; sometimes the updates are even ignored.
  2. Dates on tv.com are often garbage, I have seen dates that don't even exist like 31-02-2006.
  3. Everyone can contribute on tvrage.com, some would claim that goes for tv.com too, but I have tried many times that my updates just gets ignored or have to wait 2-3 weeks before they are accepted.
  4. tv.com is bloated with ads and spam.
  5. tv.com tried to work against us.
  6. tvrage.com was/is helpful; they even made a custom feed from my own specification where we currently grab all the data.

I could come up with many more reasons.
I do understand that people have familiarized them with tv.com, but I really think this change is for the better.
I can also understand that tvrage.com doesn�t have stuff like trivia etc. but imho that is not what I am looking for, I just want information on shows and episodes. If you want other stuff then most large shows have their own dedicated websites with lots of candy 

- IceMan
Lee85

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about having separate links to both (like having the TV.com link in a bracket after the epsode name) or having it as a user setting?

Not sure if this would be a load more work for u guys tho!

If not I'l just get used to TVRage, thanks for the site its great!
astv

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This survey is unclear: do you mean which do I perfer for a data provider, or which do I prefer for links?

For a data provider tvrage all the way.

But for the links I like tv.com.

However I'm gussing it won't be so easy to add both - the url for each link is different and to get them myepisodes would have to use tv.com at least partially as a data provider - and they don't want to do that.

Can you maybe just provide a link to the show (and not the individual episodes)? That might be a little easier, maybe not though.
landun

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with astv. Tvrage has more accurate episode numbers and airdates but the sole reason for that is the incredibly slow moderation process that tv.com has. It's a two-part problem. 1) When faced with a problem, the tv.com coders ignore it until it goes away (see Lost season 2 numbering). 2) a lot of editors on tv.com are complete and utter morons. I don't know why, they weren't like that when it was tvtome.

But, tvrage doesn't have a voting system so you have no idea if you liked an episode or not. Had they had that I would've made the switch in a heartbeat. Even though I've contributed A LOT to tv.com (or rather tvtome).
IceMan
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know tvrage.com is recoding their site as we speak.
But I don't know how high the voting system is on the list.
gdi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even know about TVRage, but I will always like to have more than one place to look for information, 2 or 3 should do it.
If 1 has some information and 2 others have the same, i generally then use the other 2 as source Smile
Teloriun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astv wrote:
For a data provider tvrage all the way.

But for the links I like tv.com.

Agreed.
Zombill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like em both lol
joesparano

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the voting system on tv.com very helpful - especially for shows that I'd like to sample. Otherwise, the site is clunky, and I don't mind tvrage as the data provider.

It's really a no-contest. There's no substitue for having accurate, useful data for My Episodes.

On that topic, the detail links within RSS feeds could use a look. The "series" link is still connected to tv.com (and broken), and while the "episode" link is connected to tvrage, it is still indicated as tv.com.

Joe
mlipman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: TVRage is getting worse Reply with quote

Has anybody else noticed that TVRage is going downhill? - No descriptions for shows, incorrect air dates, missing episodes.

Maybe myEpisodes should consider going back to TV.com.
the_man_stephen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: TVRage is getting worse Reply with quote

mlipman wrote:
Has anybody else noticed that TVRage is going downhill? - No descriptions for shows, incorrect air dates, missing episodes.

I haven't noticed this at all. sorry!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sdss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceMan wrote:
I prefer tvrage.com

There are plenty of reasons, here is just a few:

1. tv.com is bloated with ads and spam.

Indeed!!! It's one of the few sites that i've visited that has an ad on the very first page: if you visit tv.com you usually get "TV.com will load in just a few seconds. Click here to continue to TV.com" and some random tv related advert.
tpiom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say TV.com because it has worked just fine and tvrage seems to have a few problem, slow updates with the next episodes and such.

mlipman wrote:

Yeah I've.. That's why I'm voting for TV.Com
Ehtram

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that i'm tv.com fan Very Happy
ajlaird

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDb > TV.com > TVRage.com
starbreaker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used tv.com for a long time now, but I continue to like it less and less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MyEpisodes Forum Index -> Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: