MyEpisodes Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

custom link on episode

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want this request?
Yes - I would find that request useful.
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
No - I would not find that request useful.
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 8

chrixx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: custom link on episode Reply with quote

[Request Name]
Custom link on episode

[Intro]
I've been using this site for a long time now, and I think its superb..
the only thing I miss, is a custom link on each episode that brings me to whatever site I want with its episodename in the query..

[Description]
I was thinking this feature would fit well on the private show list(see[target url]). A little symbol or something for the link by the would be perfect.

example link:
www.customsite.com/search.php?q=<episodename>

The idea is that you can customize the link..
You could make a link to a torrent site, google search, tv.com search, newzbin search, any random search engine..
As long as you know the site's url query (google has google.com?q=<your search>), you can just about make it work on any site.
Also it should be possible to decide what your query should contain..
ie if your tv show providing service is sorting its episodes in the following format: showname 1x01, you could customize your link to have a link like: www.customsite.com/?q=showname%20%1x20, which then, leads you directly to a search outcome of showname 1x01 on your favourite site.

It would prove itself very useful for everybody, and would not take long to program, I could do it myself if I got the chance Razz

[Target URL]
http://www.myepisodes.com/views.php

[Comment]
I know I cant be the only one looking for something like this.. Personally, this feature would simplify all my show-watching needs by a mile.. Opening a new window, then searching for the episode name on the other page, etc, etc, is time better spent elsewhere..

Hope I explained myself good enough for you to understand..

-Chris

edit: made it to a poll
edit: cleaned it up

Last edited by chrixx on Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
facedancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always a bad idea to provide a means to display custom content.

Consider that instead of a URL a crafted div element is used, this would open the site to cross site scripting and SQL injection.

I would suggest driving your own custom page from the rss feed would be much safer. And you get the fun of using xsl.
chrixx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, but a custom content to a certain degree.. You can only customize your search with a selection of things to use.. allthough the searchsite should be custom, but if you make a selection of aprooved sites it could work like a charm! Smile (read: newzbin Smile)
Sypher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Firefox add-in called Greasemonkey. With GreaseMonkey you can add Javascript to pages.

With GM you can not only remove things, but you can also add it. I found a Torrent-link script, and i've modified it so it would work with a forum i visit, and to Binsearch and a subtitling site.

It's not that hard to make it yourself, but you'll have to use GreaseMonkey & Firefox to do so.. Might be something to use in the mean while?
chrixx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. Ive heard about that.. but the thing is, I use opera. And Im not willing to change this uber browser just because of that Confused
Sypher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since version 8, Opera also supports user-scripts!
Lots of GreaseMonkey scripts should work properly on it Smile

Documentation
chrixx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, ill look into it Smile
chrixx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just finished my javascript code and it actually works pretty freakin' sweet.. Get my own customizeable link where I want it, and to where I want, with what keywords I want (showname,epname,number).

getting up to date just got THAT much easier.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MyEpisodes Forum Index -> Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: