MyEpisodes Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XML API
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want this request?
Yes - I would find that request useful.
90%
 90%  [ 45 ]
No - I would not find that request useful.
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 50

poedgirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: XML API Reply with quote

[Request Name]
XML API

[Description]
I have been considering doing a project for a while that will allow you to open Windows Media Center and check which shows were released today, allow you to watch the shows if you have already got them (match the episode name and number against the list of shows released for that day) just watch them from that interface.

I am requesting an XML API so I would be able to request which shows I have not acquired yet and update that with any shows it finds that I have, then when I watch them, update the watched flag on each episode.

Essentially I want this: A list of episodes that are on my "My Shows" list that I haven't watched yet and the ability to update the watched and acquired flags via an API

[Target URL]
N/A

[Comments]
This sort of thing would make my life so much easier Smile
astv

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm mistaken, but doesn't this exist already? It's the RSS feeds, there are feeds for acquired and unacquired episodes, and RSS is XML.

Usually when someone says XML api, I assume they mean a way of communicating back to the program (i.e. changing episode status), but in your case the RSS feeds should have the info you need.
poedgirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I mean, a way to communicate back as well as getting the info about the episodes. The RSS format isn't very computer readable at the moment either - you need to parse all the text and try to retrieve the info from that.
astv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updating the RSS feed to more machine readable could be a good idea, but an XML API to talk back to the website is way overdoing it. The url for marking shows is very simple and easy to work with, you don't need a full API.

Adding the showid, season, and episode numbers into the RSS feed as separate fields would be sufficient I think. Would that still be a legal RSS feed? If not then maybe an XML feed (not RSS), just XML data of all informations about the shows - basically a database dump for the user.
Mavoc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
http://www.myepisodes.com/myshows.php?action=Update&showid=##&season=##&episode=##&seen=1

this is the link that is used when you click seen on the series watch page.

could this link be added to the RSS feed along with one for aquired. this way the RSS feed can be used to remotely modify the aquired/seen check boxes.

i use 2 feeds one for unaquired and the other for unwatched. being able to click a link in the Feed to update the status would be great.

also i am working with an open source media center. if i made a plugin, what info could be receive/sent to this website from the clients media center
zgamesforu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

astv wrote:
Updating the RSS feed to more machine readable could be a good idea, but an XML API to talk back to the website is way overdoing it. The url for marking shows is very simple and easy to work with, you don't need a full API.

Adding the showid, season, and episode numbers into the RSS feed as separate fields would be sufficient I think. Would that still be a legal RSS feed? If not then maybe an XML feed (not RSS), just XML data of all informations about the shows - basically a database dump for the user.

A db dump would be awesome. It would allow the perfect marraige of the local media catalog with global media catalog.
doughie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be willing to write an XML API for the site for free.

give me a shout if you would like this.
felizk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would very much like an XML API as well.

I'd integrate it with my homemade media center and even consider making a plugin for vista media center.

What I'd need is what is described, a way to get the aquired/watched state of all episodes in mylist and a way to upload an xml with changes.

The API could look something like the one thetvdb.com uses.

It could also be cool to have a search function, and a way to add shows to mylist.

My media center application I want to extend is: http://codeplex.com/SharpMedia
halorgium

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

astv wrote:
[..snip..]

I believe the main reason for a separate API for people to use is that it doesn't rely on the RSS feeds.
Extending the RSS feeds only allows for that information to be accessed.

I would be interested in a more RESTful way of accessing the data.
I'm not sure if the original requestor was looking for more than updating their data, but you have done alot of great work around having a solid set of data.
Having (easy) remote access to this would be really awesome.

Heard of OAuth? This would be the easiest way of exposing some API.
JSON would be better than XML in my opinion.
vman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted yes but its a soft yes as there are workarounds as already suggested. Its a tidier solution though.
brooza

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mavoc wrote:
Code:
http://www.myepisodes.com/myshows.php?action=Update&showid=##&season=##&episode=##&seen=1

could this link be added to the RSS feed along with one for aquired. this way the RSS feed can be used to remotely modify the aquired/seen check boxes.

i use 2 feeds one for unaquired and the other for unwatched. being able to click a link in the Feed to update the status would be great.

also i am working with an open source media center. if i made a plugin, what info could be receive/sent to this website from the clients media center
I second that idea!
delinquent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a XML API.

I'm in the middle of writing a application(i'm now on version 2) that montors a folder for a new tv show download, once found it extracts and renames the file to a specific location.

The feature I would like to build in is the abailty to update the MyEpsidoes website to say that the show has been 'aquired'.

Now the link that was posted is great and all, but it requires that the user be logged into the website already. To start with I will be having my application create the cookie required to allow you to update, but if a proper XML API was built it would make updating the website easier.
IceMan
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting ...

Im playing with AJAX for myepisodes - so already making some XML stuff .. Smile

A full XML api could be done, but im afraid that users would use such a tool to duplicate the site.

But to some extent an XML api could be made, I need more clearification on what you exactly need and how you want it to work?

Please post what info you want/need and how you would request it ... workflow etc...

Anothing thing is to get the damn thing documented when it is made, I HATE documenting.
delinquent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on the API would be that it still requires an account to use (which should hopfully prohibbit the duplication of the site to some extent).

As mentioned the API would only work for people how have a MyEpisodes account, by default access to the API would be disabled, however it could be enabled by a option in the Users control panel, when enabled it would generate a unique 'key' (similar to how thetvdb.com website requires you to have a key to access their api).

You would then use that key as a form of authentication for that single user when calling the API.

At the moment, my delima with my program is what souce do i use to get the episode information when renaming the file. ie thetvbd.com, tvrage.com or myepisodes.com.

If a API were to be built this would be my list of features (with a description of its functionality, and what minimum info I would require it return).

API Function: GetMyShows
API Call: http://myepisodes.com/api/<userapikey>/getmyshows.php
Description: - Returns a list of all of the shows for that user (and their status, i.e: ignored or not)
Returns:
Code:
<Shows>
 <Show>
  <Name>Chuck</Name>
  <ShowID>2267</ShowID>
  <Status>Active</Status>
 </Show>
 <Show>
  <Name>Eureka</Name>
  <ShowID>1089</ShowID>
  <Status>InActive</Status>
 </Show>
</Shows>

API Function: GetShowInfo_Full(ShowID)
API Call: http://myepisodes.com/api/<userapikey>/GetShowInfo_Full.php?ShowID=2267
Description: returns a XML file with all the current info(basic show information, season and episode details) on the show specified by the ShowID
Returns (basic example, as much info could be included/excluded as you want):
Code:
<Show>
 <Name>Chuck</Name>
 <ShowID>2267</ShowID>
 <Season id="1">
  <Episode id="1" name="Pilot" />
  <Episode id="2" name="Chuck Versus the Helicopter" />
  <Episode id="3" name="Chuck Versus the Tango" />
 </Season>
 <Season id="2">
  <Episode id="1" name="Chuck Versus the First Date" />
  <Episode id="2" name="Chuck Versus the Seduction" />
  <Episode id="3" name="Chuck Versus the Break-Up" />
 </Season>
<Show>

API Function: MarkAsAcquired(ShowID, SeasonID, EpisodeID)
API Call: http://myepisodes.com/api/<userapikey>/MarkAsAcquired.php?ShowID=2267&SeasonID=1&EpisodeID=1
Description: Would mark the show as aquired
Returns: True or False based on if it was sucessfully updated

These are my main three calls I would need for the API to be usful, but you could add more specific calls. For example:

API Function: GetShowInfo_Season(ShowID, SeasonID)
API Call: http://myepisodes.com/api/<userapikey>/GetShowInfo_Season.php?ShowID=2267&SeasonID=2
Description: returns a XML file with all the current info for the specified season (basic show information, season and episode details)
Code:
<Show>
 <Name>Chuck</Name>
 <ShowID>2267</ShowID>
 <Season id="2">
  <Episode id="1" name="Chuck Versus the First Date" />
  <Episode id="2" name="Chuck Versus the Seduction" />
 </Season>
<Show>

API Function: GetShowInfo_Episode(ShowID, SeasonID, EpisodeID)
API Call: http://myepisodes.com/api/<userapikey>/GetShowInfo_Episode.php?ShowID=2267&SeasonID=2&EpisodeID=3
Description: returns a XML file with all the current info for the specified season (basic show information, season and episode details)
Code:
<Show>
 <Name>Chuck</Name>
 <ShowID>2267</ShowID>
 <Season id="2">
 </Season>
<Show>

API Function: MarkAsWatched(ShowID, SeasonID, EpisodeID)
API Call: http://myepisodes.com/api/<userapikey>/MarkAsWatched.php?ShowID=2267&SeasonID=1&EpisodeID=1
Description: Would mark the show as watched
Returns: True or False based on if it was sucessfully updated

These are just my features, but im sure the others wanting this could add onto my list.

I might be complelty off the ball in regards to what others are suggesting/wanting, but if i had that functionality, i'd basically build my app around your website.

I'd like to hear other peoples thought on my suggestions, and your own suggestions in regards to what functionality you'd like from the API.

Enjoy
Chris
IceMan
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Chris.

Great with some well documented requests.. Smile

Anyway, the API calls you want is not to difficult ...
Will look into it right away.

I think we are going to make the API using POST arguments instead of GET.
Should make it better so people don't accedentially POST their keys in a URL or something like that.
delinquent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi IceMan,

Thanks for looking into this for us. Very Happy I know i wont be the only one using it.

If you would like someone to do some additional testing, please let me know as i'll be more than happy to help Very Happy

Cheers
Chris
IceMan
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats exactly what I need.

I sent you an email, please read it and get back to me. Smile
delinquent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about this,

I dont have access to that email address anymore (i've forgotten the password and cant remember the answer to the security question).

Would you be able to resend the email to the new address in my profile.

Cheers
Chris
Sypher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

That featurelist looks awfully lot like the thetvdb api Smile
The source of thetvdb is open (its at SourceForge) so MyEpisodes could use most of their api-setup.

Its preferred if you guys keep it the same as much as you could, makes it easier to maintain.

--
I also would like to request two extra functions: GetFavorites / GetIgnored.
vman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mavoc wrote:
Code:

The trouble with the URL approach is you need to be logged in - which is a pain in the backside if you are running as a service. I don't mind posting URL strings, but I would like the ability to specify authentication in the URL (as per the RSS feeds).
delinquent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sypher wrote:

That featurelist looks awfully lot like the thetvdb api Smile
The source of thetvdb is open (its at SourceForge) so MyEpisodes could use most of their api-setup.

Yes, well that is where most of the idea's for the API came from, however the intergration would be slightly different and have a few additional features that TheTVDB dont have.

Sypher wrote:

I also would like to request two extra functions: GetFavorites / GetIgnored.

You could have those, but you would be doubling up on functionality, as the GetMyShows call would return _all_ of your shows Ignored or Not and within the xml that it would return each show has a status node so that says if its ignored or not.

Unless you where meaning it do something else?
Sypher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delinquent wrote:

You could have those, but you would be doubling up on functionality, as the GetMyShows call would return _all_ of your shows Ignored or Not and within the xml that it would return each show has a status node so that says if its ignored or not.

Unless you where meaning it do something else?

Ah guess I overlooked Wink
markild

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second this idea as well, or more specific, I would really enjoy the:
Code:
API Function: MarkAsWatched(ShowID, SeasonID, EpisodeID)
API Function: MarkAsAcquired(ShowID, SeasonID, EpisodeID)

ones..

Great to see activity on this!
Ashy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on this?

I really need a simple way to set shows as 'acquired' Laughing
hanta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do 2nd this Wink

i want to update my collection with a script, do you guys see any chance to implement the api in the foreseeable future? that would spare me quite some work and thus be very much appreciated Wink

Update:
Ok, i couldn't wait and jsut wrote myselfe a script that does what i need but having nice some API to work with would be much nicer to work with Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MyEpisodes Forum Index -> Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: